- Institution: Instituto Madrileño de Investigación y Desarrollo Rural, Agrario y Alimentario (IMIDRA)
- Department/Service: Departamento de Investigación Agroalimentaria
Finca El Encín
Ctra. A2 Km 38,2
28805 Alcalá de Henares (Madrid)
- Web: http://www.madrid.org/imidra
Teresa Arroyo Casado
Phone number.: (+34) 918879486
Microbial group/s: Yeasts
Total number of strains: >3200 strains
Taxa (number of strains):
Saccharomyces cerevisiae (~1200)
Yeasts no-Saccharomyces (~2000)
- Different Spanish regions (50)
- Sherry wine zones (100), veil yeasts
- Commercial strains (22)
- Rest: conventional and ecological vineyards and wineries of the Denomination of Origin "Wines of Madrid"
-Glycerol 20% at -80°C
-Lyophilized in skim milk at 4°C
Information management: The catalog includes year of isolation, zone, substrate, identification technique and data regarding preservation. In some cases for the studied strains, morphological, biochemical and fermentative parameters are provided.
Characterization level: All the strains have been identified using molecular techniques, Determination of restriction fragment length polymorphisms (RFLP), referred to specific sequences in microbial DNA (previously copied by PCR), recognized and cut by different restriction enzymes (Hinfl, HaeIII and CfoI).
The Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains have been identified by SSR-type markers (Simple Sequence Repeats, microsatellites) with a high degree of polymorphism. The SCPTSY7, SC8132X and YOR267C loci have been used (Vaudano et al. 2008).
- Isolation of strains
- Genetic identification
- Oenological characterization
- Fermentations at different scales (laboratory-experimental cellar)
- Physical-chemical analysis (general parameters of wines, organic acids, glycerol, amino acids ...)
- Analysis of aromatic compounds and polyphenols
- Sensory analysis
Key words: selection, fermentation, food, wine, beer
- Isolation, identification and maintenance of Saccharomyces and non-Saccharomyces yeasts from different areas and substrates of the Community of Madrid.
- Selection of yeasts for the production of quality wines
- Selection and adaptation of wine yeasts for craft beer brewing