- Institution: University of Castilla La Mancha
- Department/Service: Group of Yeast Biotechnology
Food Technology. Faculty of Chemical Sciences and Technology
Avenida Camilo José Cela, 10
13071 Ciudad Real
- Web: https://previa.uclm.es/dep/qanalitica/index.asp
María Arévalo Villena
Phone number: (+34) 926295300
Microbial group/s: Yeast
Total number of strains: 1054
Taxa (number of strains): Saccharomyces cerevisiae (450)
Zygosaccharomyces fermentati (18)
Torulaspora delbrueckii (17)
Rhodotorula mucilaginosa (36)
Pichia occidentalis (11)
Pichia fermentans (31)
Pichia galeiformis (10)
Pichia krudiavzevii (22)
Pichia holstii (10)
Kluyveromyces thermotolerans (12)
Kazachstania exigua (12)
Hanseniaspora uvarum (12)
Debaryomyces hansenii (14)
Candida zeylanoides (15)
Candida sorbophila (20)
Candida rugose (141)
Candida parapsilosis (15)
Candida albicans (60)
Aureobasidium pullulans (10)
Hay otras 51 especies minoritarias en las que se incluyen menos de 10 cepas
Isolation source/Origin: The main origin of the strains of this collection is the oenological environment. However, to a lesser extent, there are strains isolated from different food industries (cheese, sourdough, oleic… etc), animals, flowers, air and water, all of which belong to the Castilla - La Mancha region.
Preservation method: Glycerol -80 °C
Informaton management: Excel
- Isolates have been identified at the species level by amplifying the ITS region or the D1 / D2 region. The characterization was completed with RFLP.
- Identification at the strain level has been carried out by PCR-RAPD or DNAmt.
- Biotechnological properties have been studied in more than 50% of the conserved strains.
Key words: Yeasts, starter cultures, probiotics, enzymatic activities, antimicrobial activities, oenology
- Selection of Saccharomyces and non-Saccharomyces strains for use as starter cultures in oenology: 4 patented strains and deposited in the CECT. Other properties of paid warehouses.
- Technological characterization of the strains.
- Characterization of enzymatic activities in some of the strains as a tool of biotechnological interest. Genetically modified strain with the PGU1 gene. Strain with excellent beta-glucosidase property.
- Evaluation of the probiotic capacity of yeasts.
- Study of their use as biocontrol agents.
Brief historical review
- The research group was established 25 years ago and since then has been dedicated to the identification and characterization of isolated yeasts in different ecosystems in the region.
- Two strains in this collection have been patented and exploited by the company Fermentis.